This is how we Dreem Reality

Our Mission: To educate ourselves and others on the environmental, social, and economic aspects of sustainability through the creation and sharing of research, specialty projects, and hands-on experience. To develop an Education and Research Eco-Facility to explore, enact, and demonstrate sustainability in a community setting.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Diggin' In: Melinda's Vision



 
Picture
Picture

An assignment for Edible Landscaping!
  My very own Garden

Arising with the morning sun, I wrap myself in a warm robe and head downstairs to put on the teakettle. As the water heats and the steam sets to a whistle I pour warmth into a cup. As I open the door to the backyard I am filled with excitement to see the new growth in the garden for the day. I slowly walk to the potted plants, with my warm tea in hand, and say, “Good Morning!”. My housemates and I have created a growing wonderland in our very own backyard—an eclectic assortment of big ceramic pots and wood planting beds weaving in and out of the areas that get kissed most by the sun. As I look around at all of the new growth of vegetables that we have planted, I become excited by the thoughts of the upcoming seasons and what joy and change they will bring to the garden. The flowers on the plum tree fill the space with bright color, giving rise to the fruit that will soon be enjoyed by all varieties of life. The cherry tree waits patiently in the corner of the garden space, for it’s time in the nearing season-knowing that it too will be able to share all of its glory of pink blossoms and succulent fruit.

The experimenter inside of me delights for the chance to prune these magnificent fruiting trees as soon as their fruiting season has paced—as to not take away any of the blossom growth that they are now going through. Soon I will be able to experiment with cutting the tree to aid in its fullest potential of fruiting.

The soil I use is for now bought at a local soil shop- all organic. Although there are some spaces in the backyard to plant in-ground, the pesky gopher would sure get his fill before we do with our growing goods. So for now, and until we develop the proper knowledge and awareness to create nutrient rich soil from what we are now blessed with, and until we learn how to keep out the gopher from indulging in our fruits of labor, we will keep our plants safe in their potted homes.

I look forward to the day where the grape trellises dance up the white arbor fence, and replace the ivy, which is slowly dominating the yard. I do love the ivy and the green wonderland that it provides, but I am looking forward to the beautiful green leaves and juicy fruit that grapes can provide in its place. I will continue to aid in the health of the berries, who grow in auspicious places around the yard, and find them a space of their own where they can grow abundantly.

As my vision and plants grow around me so does my knowledge, confidence and love of creating my very own organic, edible landscape.

Picture

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home